V The Sleeping Gold

Anchor saves the day


TREVRIZENT SPEAKS: ”These glad tidings tell of the True Lover. He is a light that shines through all things, unwavering in His love. Those to whom He shows His love find contentment in it. His wares are of two sorts: He offers the world love and anger. Now ask yourself which helps more. The unrepentant sinner flees God’s love: but he that atones for his sins serves Him for His noble favour. He that passes through men’s thoughts bears such Grace. Thoughts keep out the rays of the sun, thoughts are shut away without a lock, are secure from all creatures. Thoughts are darkness unlit by any beam. But of its nature, the Godhead is translucent, it shines through the wall of darkness and rides with an unseen leap..."

A PLACE TO HIDE IN THIS CITY: "naming these would make me feel bad, i wouldn't like to name these" / “…like to name these…” / only one would not embitter you / tragedy and whorehouse / "the likes of me went hiding there for the little girls" / and the last tango will be new again / and you can tell them / what happened to the d___efloor, it’s empty of gold / where did you get your eye / "the likes of me went hiding there for the little girls, wrymouthed" / and they’ll come asking / will they answer /(où as-tu trouvé ton oeil) / where did you get your eye / answer in english / "why did you let me suffer"

THE WARMTH: the light throwing us out / bright or not, it’s the same / little did people know / what holds them for a while / and friends who are lonely / how it is with yours, how it is with yours / the stranger the hours through / to be reading the seventh key / and for being sorry / someone else’s much worse / in healthier cities, they’re sleeping together / i’m hearing old curses / miserly come from elsewhere / of having each other / i’ll give my word for this fever / helping the heart to give up / i’ll get rid of the worthless, get rid of the worthless / it’s better now, to go and lie beside / the swans on the english river are pale / we’ve seen shame in spells, when failing / "...when failing, when failing...when failing, when failing..." / i’d like to have them so / they wouldn’t hurt in warmth / in red at dark / i could give up, everything / whenever the evening’s fine, whenever the evening's fine

HARD RAIN FELL: none of these names would ever live without us / and we already knew them / save us from forgetting how it happened / 'cause they were all taken, they were all taken along / from the lonely crowd (the lonely ground) to wither together / we could ask if anyone's helpless / and what it's like to fail in love / i have lied so often / are there any chances to leave

PARK ROMANTICISM: i didn’t mind / i’m not bitter / the very few times and the years spent / “god, it’s been empty” / something to feel without coming close / i live in the midst of beautiful parks, beautiful streets / we don’t have to try / sour (with amphigories) there’ll be no last / long enough for me / (the street by night full, of what kind) / the street by night it's full, of what kind / to your place after this / hear the dirge, and then you’re back / “the wind’ll break the glass but i don’t mind if it rains inside” / and to find love (thinking to find love) / would you like me to write it down for you / gone outside in the room upstairs / following the dim light of the lamps / the grief fell for a moment and grew into a storm / enough loss to be here / not gone with the others until now / and i’ll be veiling the leaves this year, also

IN THE CELLAR: trying to think in curves, not getting wet / without a coat of any sort / for the musing, how i liked the sound of it / the end of the month / just the stairs down to the park, more ill in the soul / drinking and smoking / i had to sleep to see the gold / what boredom rising to tell some girl it happens, the ladies’ men rest / if you’ll let me love this world, the two floors / while still in the line / seen there through the crowd / we’re right when hesitating / now over a year ago / in the early morning i was told i blew it, hurrying (from the dead ends of my life) / in the dead ends of my life / and even the bliss of touch / merely a wish, merely a wish / i needed it more than ever before (but i couldn’t leave) / in that other park we stood on the grass / i’ll sit here quietly and melt into this terrible noise (even though they're closing) / sleep it off, cypress / sleep drunkenness

NIGHT CAFE & CONVERSATIONS: already so late / are there (many) places to visit / i let it begin, to hide the worries without fail from this / and you speak to me in french / and you'll care for me, i've been wondering if i'm sensitive after all / i was wondering if i'm sensitive / no sugar for us / and when you're laughing i don't recognize it / any hard feelings from right to left / sickened, they'd hate the tango for me / without them there would be not much hope / "a cup of coffee for the memory and another for the sorrow" / and you speak to me / where are you, where are you / what an anchor my happiness will be / in another state / paper weighing a lot / levity brought to these pieces / and who went dancing in slow motion / later on, we fed some lies / and what you had expected / not that great after all / “but my heart's not as black as your coffee and you're not french, either”

ANCHORAGE: "glowing we opened safely over the anger in it, but i’m not sure what it is" / could you weave me a chance and white clothes / and take these coins from my hand / "forget there's a thank you, 'cause i'm not sure (oh i don't know) if i can think of anything worth the cold eye" / what has now found itself / "i’m so into this that i’ll be drowned" / and then for pitié’s sake at least the heavens / they’ll bring forth a stream or a river as my veins in that song / to cry again and again / i haven’t asked the dear sun / neither a word to be sung with delight / near you in grace / letting the depths glow, too / (i know) i’ll never awake / if i’m taken there / through the last thing in this world i'd place myself / the thoughts and the words were first / i’m not cold from within / keeping the will below the sad lines / where endless flashes are hanging / they’ll bring forth a stream or a river as my veins in that song / to cry again and again / i haven’t asked the dear sun / neither a word to be sung with delight / near you in grace / letting the depths glow

TREVRIZENT SPEAKS: "...unaccompanied by thud or jingle. And when a thought springs from one’s heart, none is so swift but that it is scanned ere it pass the skin – and only if it be pure does God accept it. Since God scans thoughts so well, alas, how our frail deeds must pain him! When a man forfeits God’s benevolence so that God turns away in shame, to whose care can human schooling leave him? Where shall the poor soul find refuge? If you are going to wrong God, Who is ready with both Love and Wrath, you are the one who will suffer. Now so direct your thoughts that He will requite your goodness.”




“von dem wâren minnære
sagent disiu süezen mære.
der ist ein durchliuhtec lieht
und wenket sîner minne niht:
swem er minne erzeigen sol,
dem wirt mit sîner minne wol.
die selben sint geteilet:
aller werlde ist geveilet
beidiu sîn minne und ouch sin haz.
nû prüevet wederz helfe baz.
der schuldege âne riuwe
vliuht die gotlîchen triuwe:
swer aber wandelt sünden schulde,
der dient nâch werder hulde.
die treget der durch gedanke wert.
dedanc sich sunnen blickes wert:
gedanc ist âne slôz gespart,
vor aller krêatiure bewart.
gedanc ist vinster âne schîn:
diu gotheit kan lûter sîn,
si glestet durch der vinster want
und hât den helden sprunc gerant...”


(”These glad tidings tell of the True Lover. He is a light that shines through all things, unwavering in His love. Those to whom He shows His love find contentment in it. His wares are of two sorts: He offers the world love and anger. Now ask yourself which helps more. The unrepentant sinner flees God’s love: but he that atones for his sins serves Him for His noble favour. He that passes through men’s thoughts bears such Grace. Thoughts keep out the rays of the sun, thoughts are shut away without a lock, are secure from all creatures. Thoughts are darkness unlit by any beam. But of its nature, the Godhead is translucent, it shines through the wall of darkness and rides with an unseen leap...")

-
Wolfram von Eschenbach / Parzival 


I A PLACE TO HIDE IN THIS CITY

"Naming these would make me feel bad,

I wouldn't like to name these"
“…like to name these…”

Only one would not embitter you
Tragedy and whorehouse
"The likes of me went hiding there
For the little girls"
And the last tango will be new again

And you can tell them
What happened to the d___efloor, 
It’s empty of gold

Where did you get your eye
"The likes of me went hiding there
For the little girls, wrymouthed"
And they’ll come asking

Will they answer
(Où as-tu trouvé ton œil)
Where did you get your eye

Answer in English
"Why did you let me suffer"


II THE WARMTH


The light throwing us out

Bright or not, it’s the same
Little did people know
What holds them for a while
And friends who are lonely

How is it with yours, how is it with yours
(How it is with yours, how it is with yours)

The stranger the hours through
To be reading the seventh key
And for being sorry
Someone else’s much worse
In healthier cities,
They’re sleeping together

I’m hearing old curses

Miserly come from elsewhere
Of having each other
I’ll give my word for this fever
Helping the heart to give up
I’ll get rid of the worthless,
Get rid of the worthless

It’s better now, to go and lie beside

The swans on the English river are pale
We’ve seen shame in spells, when failing

The Traitors' Choir:
"...When failing, when failing...
...When failing, when failing..."

I’d like to have them so

They wouldn’t hurt in warmth
In red at dark
I could give up, everything
Whenever the evening’s fine,
Whenever the evening's fine


III HARD RAIN FELL


None of these names would 
Ever live without us
And we already knew them
Save us from forgetting 
How it happened
'Cause they were all taken, 
They were all taken along
From the lonely crowd 
(The lonely ground)
To wither together

We could ask if anyone's helpless
And what it's like to fail in love
I have lied so often
Are there any chances to leave

"What did you meet, my blue-eyed son?
Who did you meet, my darling young one?"

"I met a young woman whose body was burning,
I met a young girl, she gave me a rainbow,
I met one man who was wounded in love,
I met another man 
Who was wounded in hatred" 
-Bob Dylan / A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall



IV PARK ROMANTICISM

I didn’t mind, I’m not bitter
The very few times and the years spent
“God, it’s been empty”
Something to feel without coming close
I live in the midst of 
Beautiful parks, beautiful streets

We don’t have to try
Sour (with amphigories) there’ll be no last
Long enough for me
(The street by night full, of what kind)
The street by night it's full, of what kind
To your place after this

Hear the dirge, and then you’re back

“The wind’ll break the glass,
But I don’t mind if it rains inside”

And to find love (thinking to find love)
Would you like me to write it down for you

Gone outside in the room upstairs
Following the dim light of the lamps
The grief fell for a moment 
And grew into a storm

Enough loss to be here
Not gone with the others until now
And I’ll be veiling the leaves this year, also



The end of September's Poetry, 
The Verses of Fall (2001)

"Das Auge hat sein Dasein
dem Licht zu danken.

Aus gleichgültigen tierischen
Hülfsorganen ruft sich das Licht
ein Organ hervor,
das seinesgleichen werde;
und so bildet sich das Auge
am Lichte fürs Licht,

damit das innere Licht
dem äußeren entgegentrete."

-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe / Zur Farbenlehre



Flosshilde:
"Des Goldes Schlaf hütet ihr schlecht;
besser bewacht des Schlummernden Bett,
sonst büsst ihr beide das Spiel!
"

-Richard Wagner / Das Rheingold

"I told my mother, mother I must leave you
Preserve my room, but do not shed a tear
Should rumours of a shabby ending reach you,
It was half my fault, and half the atmosphere"
 

-Leonard Cohen / The Traitor

The beginning of October's Poetry, 
Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (2001)


V IN THE CELLAR

Trying to think in curves, not getting wet
Without a coat of any sort
For the musing,
How I liked the sound of it
The end of the month
Just the stairs down to the park,
More ill in the soul
Drinking and smoking
I had to sleep to see the gold
What boredom rising to tell some girl
It happens, the ladies’ men rest
If you’ll let me love this world, the two floors
While still in the line
Seen there through the crowd

We’re right when hesitating

Now over a year ago
In the early morning
I was told I blew it, hurrying
(From the dead ends of my life)
In the dead ends of my life

And even the bliss of touch

Merely a wish, merely a wish

I needed it more than ever before

(But I couldn’t leave)
In that other park we stood on the grass

I’ll sit here quietly 
And melt into this terrible noise
(Even though they're closing)
Sleep it off, Cypress

Sleep drunkenness





VI NIGHT CAFÉ & CONVERSATIONS

Already so late

Are there (many) places to visit
I let it begin, to hide the worries
Without fail from this
And you speak to me in French
And you'll care for me
I've been wondering if I'm sensitive after all
I was wondering if I'm sensitive
No sugar for us
And when you're laughing
I don't recognize it
Any hard feelings from right to left
Sickened, they'd hate the tango for me
Without them there would be not much hope

"A cup of coffee for the memory

And another for the sorrow"

And you speak to me

Where are you, where are you
What an anchor my happiness will be

In another state

Paper weighing a lot
Levity brought to these pieces
And who went dancing in slow motion
Later on, we fed some lies
And what you had expected
Not that great after all
"But my heart's not as black as your coffee
And you're not French, either"

"Color che ragionando andaro al fondo,

s'accorser d'esta innata libertate;
però moralità lasciaro al mondo.
Onde, poniam che di necessitate
surga ogni amor che dentro a voi s'accende,
 di ritenerlo è in voi la podestate."
-Dante Alighieri / Divina Commedia
(Purgatorio XVIII)



VII ANCHORAGE

"Glowing we opened 
Safely over the anger in it,
But I’m not sure what it is"
Could you weave me 
A chance and white clothes,
And take these coins from my hand

"Forget there's a thank you,
'Cause I'm not sure (oh I don't know)
If I can think of anything
Worth the cold eye"

What has now found itself

"I’m so into this that I’ll be drowned"
And then for pitié’s sake
At least the heavens

Chorus:

They’ll bring forth a stream or a river
As my veins in that song
To cry again and again
I haven’t asked the dear sun
Neither a word to be sung with delight
Near you in grace
Letting the depths glow, too


(I know) I’ll never awake

If I’m taken there
Through the last thing in this world
I'd place myself

The thoughts and the words were first

I’m not cold from within
Keeping the will below the sad lines
Where endless flashes are hanging

Chorus:
They’ll bring forth a stream or a river
As my veins in that song
To cry again and again
I haven’t asked the dear sun
Neither a word to be sung with delight
Near you in grace
Letting the depths glow

“...der endiuzet noch enklinget.
sô er von dem herzen springet,
ez ist dehein gedanc sô snel,
ê er von dem herzen vür daz vel
kom, er ensî versuochet:
des kiuschen got geruochet.
sît got gedanke spehet sô wol,
ouwê der brœden werke dol!
swâ werc verwürkent sînen gruoz,
daz gotheit sich schamen muoz,
wem lât den menneschlîchiu zuht?
war hât diu arme sêle vluht?
welt ir nû gote vüegen leit,
der ze beiden sîten ist bereit,
zer minne und gein dem zorne,
sô sît ir der verlorne.
nû kêret iuwer gemüete,
daz er iu danke güete.”

("...unaccompanied by thud or jingle. And when a thought springs from one’s heart, none is so swift but that it is scanned ere it pass the skin – and only if it be pure does God accept it. Since God scans thoughts so well, alas, how our frail deeds must pain him! When a man forfeits God’s benevolence so that God turns away in shame, to whose care can human schooling leave him? Where shall the poor soul find refuge? If you are going to wrong God, Who is ready with both Love and Wrath, you are the one who will suffer. Now so direct your thoughts that He will requite your goodness.”)

-Wolfram von Eschenbach / Parzival



(The sunny photographs were taken on Good Friday 2009 at the Hermitage near Goetheanum. The autumnal ones were taken in Töölö, Helsinki, 2002, with the exception of "stairs down to the park" in October 2000, and "The Sleeping Gold" in June 2001. TSG summer photo layout was done by Matti Rautaniemi, The Sun Tryst cover designed by Atte Häkkinen. The wistful and warm folkish rock art songs of "The Sleeping Gold" were recorded in 2003-2004, and released in 2007. The book pictures are from chapter V, poems V and VI. Photos by Antti Filppu).

The Sleeping Gold was written during the fall of 2001. But Hard Rain Fell in the end of the year 2002, and A Place To Hide In This City was collected from old-fashioned pieces in August 2004. Some quotes in Anchorage were never that certain. The redeeming words of Trevrizent came, literally, on Good Friday 2006.


----THE EARLY YEARS E
ND----