XI Songs of Love and Friendship

XI SONGS OF LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP 

Let all f(r)iends be loved 
The same river in us, the whirling 
Cup and reference to have unclaimed 
”What a black man said, white…..” 
But none could tell how old you are 
If we’ve been crazy, who haven’t been 
And I have kept your belongings waiting 
The reminiscence, if you need them, 
I’ll be here wondering how 
Estonians have so good spirits 

And Omar was named after the Persian poet 
While keeping the guest room for himself 
Omar let you sleep in his own bed 
In the name of fatherly love 

Go tell your friends, I’ll write for them thrice 
And to this reader, now let fiends be blessed

”How often a thing has been 
All-too-inhuman, damn those 
Who tried to take our Florist away” 
For the good star that sent you, 
In the beginning 

To wander like gypsies, a pain coming home 
Like the half-brother in black and white 

Even at the Patriarchs’ Ponds 
When I have (not) listened to you, 
I have (not) listened to the radio waves 
That move below the waters of life 
And who told me, and who told me
If there’s a decent path(os) at all
To make it up for you, God willing 
Let us hope it was already settled 
What happened then, to each of us 
To become free from those chains



Liberti(n)es and equality, the Saviour 
With a prostitute and a line in the water 
Who have not sinned, who have not sinned 
Under this black empyrean, without rulers 
No heir to the throne, Your Highness 
Byzantine or Holy Roman

Chorus:
Still I walk with the Apostles 
The Word of Knight in my hand 
Throwing nets in the sign of Pisces 
Playing Songs of Love and Friendship 


And oil from the lamp….. 
While singing a nocturnal piece 
Of everyday life, with real borders 
And laurel wreaths in the middle 
If our love is Aristotelian in form 
"And it had to be purified first" 
Greek heart and Finnish blood 
And three lessons in loving [III] 
Baby, I haven’t been a gentle man 
”Estonian gypsy or some Italian 
Sailor, almost a f(l)ight now” 

Fraters, if you were broken 
We were broken, too, and lost 
Where tongues are a-bleeding 
Tearfulness it comes through again 
For the broken souls we’ve been



Who were showing papers and wounds 
Flowery on the march, not complaining
Even if our friends have become too blind 
For all that it’s worth, irritating, not calm 
To be in contentment, who have not heard 
While reading something, when listening

Gardens or windows of light and spirit 
A room where no one will tease you 
In someone’s house that was dreamt up 
With another collection of used books 
To cultivate a land of men killing the soil

The brethren who marched in the abyss 
Oh their bleeding souls and poems 
We all know where the word’s broken 
The pangs of heartfelt love (as it was written) 
And who poured the olden salt, so very thirsty 
To those wounds bleeding, the wound 

Chorus:
Still I walk with the Apostles 
The Word of Knight in my hand 
Throwing nets in the sign of Pisces 
Playing Songs of Love and Friendship


Written and composed near 
29th – 31st of March, 2017

For B.D. and the Estonian D I Y Masters, 
For L.V. my betrothed and companion (or "open-letter-wife"), 
To all the brethren who marched in the abyss with or without me

I respect all creeds, and that is in fact my crime in everyone’s eyes. The Christians do not listen to the good which I speak of the Nazarene, but reproach me for not speaking ill of the Jews and of Zoroaster. The magi do not listen to me when I praise their prophet, but want to hear me curse the Christ and the Buddha. For, when they assemble the flock of the faithful, it is not around love but around hatred; it is only in confrontation with others that they show their solidarity. They recognize themselves as brothers only by prohibitions and anathemas. And I, Mani, far from being the friend of all, shall soon find myself the enemy of all. My crime is wishing to reconcile. I shall pay for it. They will unite to condemn me. 

-Amin Maalouf / Les Jardins de Lumière 
(English translation by Dorothy S. Blair)